First day at Tristan's new school today! He did so well! Last night, we packed his lunch. He wanted blueberries in every container and nothing else. We compromised on blueberries in one container, yogurt in another and cheese and crackers. He refused all offers of an actual sandwich so we went with cheese and crackers instead. He also took fruit snacks and a breakfast bar and some extra cheese just in case.... the boy loves cheese. He must get it from me.
We left the house at 7:05am and got to the school right at 7:30am. When we went in, we happened to see the director of the school and she walked us to Tristan's classroom. He was the first student to arrive. I was very happy about that as it gave him time to get acclimated to the class before lots of kids got there. He remembered his teacher's name, Ms. Suzanne and said hello to her. She already had his little cubby labeled with his name on it and he was so excited to see it. He put his things away in the cubby, we put his extra clothes in his little plastic box (also already labeled) and he put his lunch on the shelf for lunches. He was very busy looking around at everything. There is a class gerbil named Chocolate. Ms. Suzanne got the food out to feed him so Tristan could watch and Chocolate scampered right out and Tristan stood there entraced. It came time for us to go, so I kneeled down and had the "be a good boy" speech with him. I got my squeeze and sugar and went out the door. There were no tears, no clinging, no sadness. He was so busy looking around and deciding what to do first, he wasn't worried about what I was doing! When I snuck a peek back in the room, Ms. Suzanne was showing him around.
As I sit here writing this, I wonder how his day has been and what he is doing now. I wonder if he actually ate his lunch and if so, how much? I would not be surprised to see it all back in his bag, except the blueberries! Has he made any friends, is he having a good time, is he worried I won't come get him? I wish I could be a fly on the wall so I could watch him all day long. But it is part of growing up I suppose and for my part, I guess learning how to let go.
I will update again with his thoughts on the first day and let you know whether or not he changes his mind about how happy he is about his new school! I can't believe it is finally here and we are "living" what we have only thought about for months. The routine will work it's way in and we will all get used to the new things!






0 comments:
Post a Comment