The first visit to the school was without Tristan. When we went in, the kids were already in their classrooms or playing outside. My very first impression was that it looked a little shabby. There were tables and bulletin boards with information on them and a little couch to sit on. The table beside the couch had some books in it for the kids to read. There was carpet on the floor, not tile or vinyl or whatever that wipe-able floor surface is in most schools. The director came and took us to a room that did not have any kids in it but was set up with Montessori materials. The lights were off. Perhaps a little bit odd I thought, but open minded as I was, I let it go. The first thing I noticed was the kids I could see playing outside through the window. There was a big play set - slide, swings, things to climb into and out of- but none of the kids were on it. They were all playing in a big empty grassy "yard". They were playing with trucks in the dirt, they were chasing each other around, they were having fun with each other and looked like they couldn't care less about the big play set behind them.
The director talked to us about different areas of the classroom, some of the materials and the school set up. Since we are still dealing with preschool, there are different programs - some kid's stay all day, others are just half day, etc. As much as I wish it were not this way- Tristan is a full time student! So we discussed various things about the day such as snacks and lunches. We have to pack a lunch for him - that will be new since his current school provides lunch. Tristan is a picky eater - if it is in the shape of a chicken nugget or is a peanut butter sandwich, he is good. Otherwise, it better be loaded in sugar or he won't eat it! Needless to say, peanut butter is out and they specifically note that the packed lunches should be healthy. I will keep you updated on how that goes! Looks like we will be trying some new foods along with a new school!
Then we visited a working classroom. First thing I noticed - the lights were out in here too. There were lamps all around. First impression was warmth, calm and lots of "stuff". The room was warm and inviting. The kids were calm. They were all doing different things all over the room but no one was screaming or yelling or trying to steal some item from someone else. There was stuff everywhere - activities, cards, paint, kitchen stuff, easels and drawing material and books. Each room had a huge window so there was lots of natural light. I could stand it no longer so I finally asked about the lights. I was told that it was up to each teacher's discretion whether they turned out the lights and used lamps or not. Some felt it kept the kids calmer. Some turned the lights out just to get the kids attention or to tell them there was some type of transition upcoming.
So first new experience: no bright overhead fluorescent lights.
Next new experience: no desks.
What? Sorry, no desks? Nope not a one. There were small kid sized tables with two chairs placed around the room and then there were little rugs in a basket that the kids could roll out to "claim their space" on the floor.
And next new experience: the work.
Each child can choose what he/she wants to work on. There are table activities and there are floor activities. They could work alone or together. Each child has quite a bit of freedom to choose what they will do and how they will do it. There was no one telling them they had to sit down or had to color instead of work with Sandpaper Letters. I will detail in a later post, what the 3-6 year old curriculum entails.
I realize now that the "shabbiness" I felt, was simply the fact that they were not trying to impress me with the furniture. There was no need. I was impressed by the vastly different feeling I got from the environment and the kids. They were happy to be there. Interested and engaged. Working without whining and without fighting although I am sure they all have their moments. It seemed much more a place of learning than a day care center and although I can't put it into the proper words, the difference between the Montessori school and Tristan's current school was evident. And now when I go into the school to drop off enrollment papers or stop by to ask a question, I no longer look to the furniture to make me feel good, I look to the children and the teachers.
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment