Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Search

The search started with "non-traditional" schools. I have some idea of these types of schools - one of my aunts works for an Emerson-Waldorf school and another aunt and uncle who started a small school in their area. But that is about the extent of what I knew. I came across Maria Montessori and her ideas and started reading. As I learned more about the way she taught and how she saw kids learning, I knew I had found it. Every description she gave of the kids and how they learned was exactly what I saw in Tristan everyday. Here is a quick paragraph about the differences in traditional and Montessori schools from a great web site, www.michaelolaf.net. It is from the FAQ's about Montessori education:

At the under age six level, Montessori emphasizes learning through all five senses, not just through listening, watching, or reading. Children in Montessori classes learn at their own, individual pace and according to their own choice of activities from hundreds of possibilities. The are not required to sit and listen to a teacher talk to them as a group, but are engaged in individual or group activities of their own, with materials that have been introduced to them 1:1 by the teacher who knows what each child is ready to do. Learning is an exciting process of discovery, leading to concentration, motivation, self-discipline, and a love of learning.

Above age 6 children learn to do independent research, arrange field trips to gather information, interview specialists, create group presentation, dramas, art exhibits, musical productions, science projects, and so forth. There is no limit to what they created in this kind of intelligently guided freedom. There no text books or adult-directed group lessons and daily schedule. There is great respect for the choices of the children, but they easily keep up with or surpass what they would be doing in a more traditional setting. There is no wasted time and children enjoy their work and study. The children ask each other for lessons and much of the learning comes from sharing and inspiring each other instead of competing with each other.

Montessori classes place children in three-year-or-more age groups (3-6, 2.5-6, 6-12, and so on), forming communities in which the older children spontaneously share their knowledge with the younger ones. Montessori represents an entirely different approach to education.


I will admit that the resources out there on Montessori are many but wading through it all is daunting. I was (and still am!) completely new the concept. Sometimes it was difficult to find the information I needed. There was lots of information on homeschooling and becoming a teacher and where to get supplies. But a harder time finding general information - in nice bulleted formats that were easy to read! There was always information on all the sites about the principles and ideas, they just had to be found and sifted through. I just felt I couldn't get a great handle on exactly what the day consisted of. But I kept working and gathering information. I ordered a couple books and read them. I was getting more used to the ideas and concepts and more and more convinced that this was the way to go for Tristan. I hated the thought of uprooting him again and sending him to a new school but I also knew I had to do what was best for him.

We had a few choices of different Montessori schools in our area. There are even a couple that are a part of the public school system. Some were preschools only, most went through 6th grade or sometimes 8th grade. Some though seemed to be using the Montessori name and using some of the principles but not all and some seemed to just be using the name. But then I came across one that was preschool through 12th grade and seemed all in all, like a great place. I could tell from the website, there was significant parental involvement, which is something I definitely wanted. And could tell that they seemed very committed to the principles that were basic to a true Montessori education. I made an appointment and went to visit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment