Wednesday, December 29, 2010

December Newsletter

I received an email from Tristan's new teacher last night. She let us know she was looking forward to meeting him on Monday and having him in class. She also sent along a newsletter that she apparently sends every month (she sent some previous month's newsletters too). 

In the letter, she let parents know that they will begin studying Antarctica and mammals when they start back to school.  It is so great because Tristan loves animals! And knowing he will be exposed to something that interests him right off, is very comforting. 

Also included in the letter, were some pictures of the class working on holiday crafts. I showed the pictures to Tristan and he wanted to know what all the kids names were.  They made little reindeer, gingerbread men, paper ring chains. They also made cinnamon dough ornaments, decorated snowflakes and painted little sleighs.  It was nice to see some pictures of the kids and some of the things they got to do last month. 

In the November newsletter, we were told of the Thanksgiving feast. The class project for the feast was to make a soup. Each child brought a vegetable to add to the soup. They brought their veggies uncut and unpeeled. Each child peeled and cut their own veggie to add to the soup.  How great is that? They all got to add their own special thing to the soup and get a real sense of accomplishing something.  These are exactly the types of things I am looking forward to seeing Tristan do.  Being able to be a part of something and using his own hands and skills to contribute. For him to feel inside that he helped make something for others and to be proud of that.  This exercise leads me nicely into the next post regarding the curriculum.  After grace and courtesy, the next big lesson is Practical Life. Part of the Practical Life lesson plan, is food preparation.  It is great to see the lessons in action in such concrete ways.

This morning on the drive to daycare, Tristan asked if we were going to his new school. I said, no that they were on winter break and weren't open right now. He was very upset.   I am probably more excited about the new school than he is! I can't wait to volunteer my time in class and to see first hand how he will learn and grow in this environment.  Two more days to go at the current school! And in between a visit from Tristan's favorite aunt! It is going to be an exciting few days for him!

As mentioned, in the next post, I will expand on the Practical Life lessons.

1 comments:

Kerry said...

I can't wait to hear what Tristan says about his new school!

Post a Comment